Upcoming Concerts

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Great Music Tournament

As the middle of February approaches, some people get excited about the upcoming hallmark holiday. Others, maybe looking toward the upcoming change of seasons, while the rest may think about Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, celebrate Black History Month or just think about the joy of taking out books at their local library since February is Library Lovers Month. Now I am sure people look forward to other things, but so what.

Now for me, I see pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training while college basketball teams make their final push to make the tournament. This is one of the best times of the year for me. The College basketball tournament may be the best playoff system in all of sports and on top of that when spring training begins, all baseball fans are optimistic about what their team might do in the upcoming year.

Well, I think we should take this opportunity to pay homage to this great time in the sports year and combine it with our favorite music. I think we should put together a list of 64 songs and create our own tournament to find out what song will emerge on top.

Now I am going to be gone for a few days, but I would like to start getting some songs submitted by the readers and then early next week, I will submit mine as well. The top 64 songs that get nominated the most will be in the tournament. I know that 64 is a lot, so it will take some time, but I also think that it will be more fun than work.

Well, please take some time and submit yours. If you only come up with 10, 14,30 or all 64, just submit what you got. I will start putting them together into brackets next week and we can start having a little fun with the lists.

I will submit a few to get the ball rolling.

In no particular order:
Rolling Stones – She’s Like a Rainbow
The Who – My Generation
Prince – I would die 4 U
Ned’s Atomic Dustbin – Happy
Oasis – Supersonic
The Smith’s – How Soon is Now
Led Zeppelin – Immigrant Song
The Beatles – A Day in the Life
The Clash – London Calling
The Jam – Town Called Malice
Talking Heads- This must be the place
Pixies – Debaser
Radiohead – The Bends
Nirvana – Drain You
The Animals – We Gotta Get Out of This Place
Doves – There Goes The Fear
Libertines – Death on the Stairs
Blur - Parklife

No comments: