Upcoming Concerts

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

30 - 21

30. Black Keys – Attack & Release
The Akron, OH duo got Danger Mouse to produce this album and you can definitely tell which songs he had an influence on. From what I have read, this album was originally supposed to be a Black Keys and Ike Turner album, but due to Turner’s death this past year, DM went on and produced a full black keys album. I’m still interested to how that album would have sounded. Oh well, here are a couple songs from Attack & Release.

Strange Times


I Got Mine




29. Death Cab for Cutie – Narrow Stairs
I gave up on these guys because their album in my opinion was about as boring as you can get. Well, I decided to give this album a shot and to my surprise it turned out to sound more like their older albums then their newer ones. A little more rock and a little less bore the shit out of me is always a better combination.

Cath…


I Will Possess Your Heart




28. Land of Talk – Some Are Lakes
Canada continues to export awesome in the form of great rock and roll. This album was given to me by a friend and it has been in heavy rotation since then. If you like Sleeter-Kinney or liked Belly back in the day, check this out.

Some are Lakes


Yuppie Flu




27. I’m From Barcelona – Who Killed Harry Houdini?
One of my favorite albums in 2006, I’m From Barcelona’s album “Let me introduce my friends” was my feel good hit of the year. In fact it was so good, I put it on last year’s list too because it was released in the states in 2007. Well, their first album may have been super poppy, but the new album is quite dark. The band still packs the stage and the studio with 20+ members, so it is still fun, but despite the singles the new album has more melancholy friends than poppy ones.

Paper Planes


Mingus




26. Los Campesinos! – Hold On Now, Youngster!
There is something about bands from Wales that make me happy. Everything from Gorky’s, Stereophonics to the Super Furry Animals, the place is always good for putting out some good music and this album from Los Campesinos is no exception to that rule. Kind of wild and all over the place, but has a solid melody and behind each of the songs on the album. And besides, in the video to Death to Los Campesinos, a unicorn comes out of an amplifier and kills the bass player. Pretty bad ass when you think about it and a rather unlikely way to go.

Death to Los Campesinos


You! Me! Dancing!




25. Little Joy – Little Joy
This side project by the drummer of the Strokes may show some people that the drummer may have more influence on the band’s songwriting than originally have thought. A lot of the songs sound like the strokes, but with a different vocal type. Think of the strokes with a little more of a world sound. Overall a very good album.

Next Time Around


No One’s Better Sake




24. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
Modern day rock and roll at its best! These guys just plain rock and have a lot of fun doing it. Just hit play, smile and enjoy.

Constructive Summer


Sequestered in Memphis




23. Beck – Modern Guilt
Another Danger Mouse produced album makes my list in a very quiet way. Most everybody loves Beck because they think he is so hip and original, but when he gets on his dark side kicks, people tend to drift away. Luckily for me, that’s when I think his songwriting is his best. This album would have been much higher if it were not produced by Danger Mouse. All his stuff sounds the same, so I get kind of bored with it. Regardless, another solid album by one of America’s better modern song writers.

Gamma Ray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBw-lbxtT4

Modern Guilt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0F9p5IjSc



22. Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson – Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson
This 24 year old singer / songwriter has been influenced by a lot of different musicians on this album. You have songs that you can hear Dylan, the Kinks and Richards playing. A quality piece of work that should be on a regular rotation on anyone’s ipod or cd player.

Buriedfed




21. Radiohead – In Rainbows
This album should be much higher on the list, but since it really came out last year, I just couldn’t let it crack the top 20. There really isn’t anything left to be said about this band that has not been said already. And if you haven’t heard this album yet, well, hit play.

Reckoner


All I need

No comments: