Upcoming Concerts

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Best of 2008 List, 41 - 50

This year I have decided to expand my list to a top 50 because there was just way too much out there to listen to in 2008. Here are my picks at 41-50. I will try and post these pretty regularly so I don't lose track. Enjoy!

50. TV on the Radio – Dear Science
Depending on the day of the week, I find myself liking these guys, but just don’t ask me what day. At number 50 with a bang!

Dancing Choose


Golden Age



49. Supergrass – Diamond Hoo Ha
As a whole, this album is just ok, but it does have some great individual songs. In fact, every now and again, you can hear the rockin’ Supergrass of old.

Diamond Hoo Ha Man


Bad Blood




48. The Verve – Forth
OK, the reason this is on the list is because it is number 49 and it has been way too long since we have heard new material from the combo of Ashcroft and McCabe. After listening it to a couple of times, it turned out better than I expected, but that “Love is Noise” single is complete shit because of that stupid sample in it. Fuck that. Ashcroft, you are better than that, at least I thought you were. Anyway, here are a couple of tracks from the album that I think are worthwhile. One is a decent single and the other is a song that reminds you of what the Verve once were, a psychedelic rock and roll machine!

Rather Be


Columbo




47. My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges
A lot of people really liked this album, but I could never get completely into it. Don’t get me wrong, it has some pretty good rock and roll songs on it, but it just didn’t have much staying power. These guys are great musicians and make my list for that and for the fact that they are amazing live.

I’m Amazed


Touch Me I’m Going to Scream Pt. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFFwBA9DO34



46. Tapes n’ Tapes – Walk it Off
Ok, I just like the way the first couple of songs on this album rock. Nothing more.

Hang Them All


Conquest




45. Mates of State – Re-Arrange Us
Kind of lame, but there are some really catchy pop songs on this album. I know, it’s not for everyone, but give it a listen to if you want. Trust me, there are much worse husband and wife duos and Lawrence, Kansas doesn’t usually produce much in the realm of music.

Get Better


Jigsaw




44. REM – Accelerate
After that shit album they put out a few years ago, the boys from Athens, GA brought out the guitars again. Not their best work, but a solid album that reminds you of their talents.

Supernatural Superserious


Living Well is the Best Revenge




43. Of Montreal – Skeletal Lamping
Well, it is not as good as Cold Lamping with Flavor, but it does have it’s moments. Another band from Athens, GA makes the list and provides us with some solid tunes. Lead singer Kevin Barnes has been labeled by some as the next Bowie, but I just don’t see it. Just because you are weird and dance around wearing make-up does not make you rock god! Here are some songs from the album with putting your teeth into.

An Eluardian Instance


Id Engager




42. Nine Inch Nails – The Slip
Well, Trent may not be the sad man we once knew on pretty hate machine and the downward spiral, but he still can deliver some angry strong rock and roll. On top of that, it no longer takes him seven years to put out new material. Just for that he makes the list.

1,000,000


Echoplex




41. The Walkmen – You & Me
After their last album and hearing about how bad these guys are live, I wrote them off completely. Well, let me thank eMusic for giving me extra credits, because that is why I bought it. A unique or annoying voice accompanies these dark haunting riffs.

In the New Year


On the Water

No comments: