Upcoming Concerts

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Best of 2008, 40 - 31

40. Clinic – Do It!
From the same place that brought the world the Beatles, we have some sort of a new wave punk hybrid with hospital masks. These guys are great and I think that if I would have listened to this album a lot more than I did it would have been much higher on my list. Anyway, here are a couple songs off the album

The Witch


Tomorrow




39. Neon Neon – Stainless Style
OK, I know right off the bat that this will not be for everyone, but neither is this list as a whole. Let me see what I can make if I were to put Super Furry Animals (the band, stay way PETA) in a blender with Depeche Mode and Duran Duran. It would probably sound something similar to this album. Only if I could listen to this while cruising in a Delorean.

I Told Her on Alderaan


I Lust U




38. Be Your Own Pet – Get Awkward
Very straight forward angry suburban kids. It has it’s moments and it’s kind of fun to hear punk rock girl sing about zombies. The second song was recorded for the album was banned in the states. Gotta love our 2nd amendment.

The Kelly Affair


Becky




37. Santogold – Santogold
A decent combination of some r&b, reggae, electronic rock, punk and dance music. Not great, but the album on a whole has it’s moments.

L.E.S. Artistes


You’ll Find A Way




36. Kings of Leon – Only By The Night
Usually these guys would be much higher on my list because they were one of the few bands out there that would bring the rock and roll to the stage. Well, some might say when bands get older, they mature, I say they stop rocking. Some of the songs are OK, but there is no Velvet Snow, California Waiting, or McFearless on this album. Despite that, there is still some quality music on this album.

Sex on Fire


Use Somebody (mark my words, this song will be used in some upcoming bad chick flick)


Slow Night, So Long (I had to attach this to remind people why this band is so good)




35. David Byrne & Brian Eno – Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
I love the Talking Heads. Need I say more?

Strange Overtones


Home




34. Coldplay – Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
I know, I know, it’s Coldplay. Call me what you wish, but this is a pretty good album. Darker than their last with a little more of an edge.

Life In Technicolor (This is just a very big instrumental, a very good one at that)


Violet Hill




33. Albert Hammond Jr. – Como Te Llama?
A very good pop rock album by the guitar player from the Strokes. His last album was a very pleasant surprise and this one, although not as accessible as the last, is still as solid piece of work.

GFC


Bargain of the Century




32. Elf Power – In A Cave
One of the coolest bands to come out of the Elephant 6 collective, but then again, there are very few bands that came out of that group that suck. A slight departure from their other albums, but it still has that TRex sound to it! (sorry, but I could only find one song on youtube, so I linked their myspace page. Owl Cut, Spiral Stairs and Paralyzed are all from In A Cave)

Spiral Stairs


http://www.myspace.com/elfpower



31. Hot Chip – Made in the Dark
Dance baby, Dance! More electronic 80’s dance syth music for the list from London. This one is a little more dance than 80’s but still a damn good time.

Ready for the Floor


One Pure Thought

No comments: